Monday, February 29, 2016

Running into the darkness.

Do you have a family vacation that stands out in your memory? In 1982 my parents planned a family vacation to Niagra Falls, Canada. It was epic. There is one thing specific that I remember from the trip, a pit stop at some friends of my parents, who also happened to own a pig farm. Being five years old, I could not wait to see those pigs, the tractors, and anything else they had on this farm. I don't know for sure, but I can bet you that I drove my parents almost to the point of crazy asking the details of this excursion (I need the details!!).  When we arrived and got settled in, it was finally time to take the tour of the farm, and see the pigs. I can still feel the excitement! As we entered the door to the barn, the lights were out and it was pitch black. Dad was holding my hand and telling me to wait until the lights were turned on, I could not wait, I broke free of his hand holding mine and ran into the darkness.
The next thing I remember was the floor disappearing from under my feet, I fell. Don't worry! I didn't fall far, only about twelve inches, directly into the manure trough (or "drop" for you country folk out there like me!).  Right about the time I got to my hands and knees the barn lights came on, and to my embarassement, I discovered exactly where I had ended up.  Next, Dad lifted me up out of the drop, made sure I was ok, quickly forgave me, and we looked at the pigs (I got cleaned up before we got back into the car!).  
What about you? Have you ever ran into the darkness only to fall?  Life experience teaches us discernement, valuable lessons to shape our lives, and form who we are today. Let's keep on living this life and learning who we are along the way!
Until next time.
-Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment