Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Disrupt your routine.

I am a man of routine. I crave order. I thrive with organization. I don't do spontaneous. Me and Mr. Banks(from the movie "Mary Poppins"), we're on the same level. So when a pipe froze and burst in my home a few months ago, unleashing its unbridled destruction of flooding waters throughout, needless to say, it caused my neatly crafted walls of a structured life to come crashing down!
Let's face it, as hard as we try to control life, we still are going to experience chaos at times. This is the time when we find out who we really are.  Over the past few months, I have experienced more personal growth than I have in years. I have been forced to step out of my routine, (and comfort zone) in order to carry on in life. People who care about me depended on me to do so. I faced a choice, I could give up or rise up.  I chose the latter.  Did I like who I was at times throughout this struggle? Absolutely not.  I'll be the first to admit, when I face challenges, my weaknesses are very visible. It's not easy, but I want to be a better person today than I was yesterday, and if that takes being vulnerable, exposing and admitting my weakness in order to experience personal growth and be stronger, it's a step I'm willing to take. I can't say I want to experience this type of disruption to my routine again anytime soon, but looking back on it, I'm thankful for the experience. 
How about you? Can you disrupt your routine intentionally? (I'm not suggesting bursting a water line in your home...) Can you challenge yourself, be vulnerable, and expose your weaknesses to become stronger? Maybe you have?! Maybe you've faced circumstances beyond your control, and have learned and grown from it.  I'd love to hear about it! Let's rise up and face this day, and be better than we were yesterday, even if it disrupts your normal routine.
Until next time.
-Luke


No comments:

Post a Comment