Sunday, August 7, 2016

Follow the Leader

I'm the youngest of five siblings, two big brothers, two big sisters. When I was growing up, I wanted to be like them. I wanted to be smart and studious like my sister Ruth. I wanted to be an amazing musician like my sister Sara. I wanted to be adventurous and super-creative like my brother Joel. I wanted to be an excellent athlete like my brother Sam. 

One hot summer day when I was around twelve years of age,  my brothers and I were outside riding our bikes. My oldest brother found an eight foot two-by-four and positioned it carefully over a nice deep ditch between two driveway areas where we were riding. One of the driveways was a bit higher than the other, so the two-by-four made a nice connecting ramp.  My brothers began to ride down the ramp quickly and easily. It looked fun, I needed to do it too! Needless to say, I was not as coordinated, and as I reached the midway point of the ramp, my wheel slipped off, and into the ditch I went, face-first over the handle bars.  My face made contact with the ground first. As I jumped up, scrambled to look for my broken glasses, and check to see if I had all of my teeth, I never thought once about not getting back on that bike. I followed, I failed, but I didn't give up. I learned that I couldn't do what they were doing, yet. I was still inspired to try.  

Are you inspired by someone to do great things and come into your own today? Are you willing to keep on trying, even when you fall on your face? Who will you inspire today? 

We can do this, together.
Until next time.
-Luke


No comments:

Post a Comment