Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Successful Communication.

A few weeks ago, I was able to attend a parenting conference.  I learned something there that encouraged me to change my perspective in communicating with others. I found this very valuable and wanted to share it with you.
The speaker noted that the key to successfully communicating with your kids is understanding.  Immediately this statement hit home, I understood completely what he was saying, and found it relevant to my life as a whole, not only in my role as a parent.  
We all have an innate desire to be heard,  but first, we need to listen. We need to be approachable. We need to seek to understand what it is others are trying to say to us.  Is this frustrating at times? Yes. Does this require extra effort? Yes. Is this a worthy trait to incorporate into our lives to make us a better person? Yes. 
We can do this, together. I'll leave you today with a quote I've recently heard, (from an interview with Darin Kidd), and pray it inspires you as it did me;

"Be strong enough, long enough; be persistent, be consistent; go through it and grow through it."

Until next time.
-Luke





2 comments:

  1. Good lesson, Luke, and very helpful in my own struggles for patience and improvement in comprehension and a more kind manner between me and my darling! I've had a high level of frustration and anger in this area as we seem to practice a combination of resistant listening and annoyed speaking. Praise God, the lifter of our heads and hearts!

    ReplyDelete