Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Life is full of surprises.

About a year ago my daily routine was slightly disrupted. Like normal, I got up, got ready, and headed out to work. I stepped out onto my back porch to put my boots on, and a surprise awaited me. As I slid my right foot into my boot, I felt something by my toes. This was not uncommon, as my kids would drop things in there on occasion. As I thought to myself, "what did they drop in there this time?" I felt the thing in my boot begin to wiggle around.  A bit startled, I quickly pulled my foot out of my boot, and turned my boot upside down to dump the thing inside my boot out. 
It didn't come out. 
I had to decide that if I really wanted to wear those boots today, I needed to pull out whatever was in there by hand. I took a deep breath, not sure what I would find, reached in, and pulled out a small garter snake!
As I let out a not-so-manly squeal, I whipped the door open and released the snake back to nature, rapidly, to say the least!
As I stood there in utter disbelief as to what just occurred, I couldn't help but chuckle, thinking, "I could not make this stuff up."
I am completely predictable, and struggle with taking life a bit too seriously at times.  This moment forced me to stop a minute and laugh. It is so good to laugh.  Life is unpredictable at times, let's step out of the perpetual motion we are in, take a look at our lives, and laugh. We can do this, together.
Until next time.
-Luke


1 comment: