Thursday, January 14, 2016

Moving On When It Hurts.

September 2015 was a month that changed my life. 
It began with the unexpected loss of a young man who's newly formed friendship had a profound impact on my life. As I led worship at Jordan's funeral, I was completely humbled and blessed as I looked around at the many, many lives he had positively impacted during the short time he was on this earth.
The month ended with the tragic loss of a couple in my life who, even though we didn't share the same family tree, we were family. As I sit and write this, grief still overwhelms me. 
As I consider the day we remembered Dave and Rita, as I sang the words to songs we played together for so many years, I was filled with equal amounts of joy, pain, and peace. What an amazing legacy of love they left us. 
As I consider these relationships, and thank God for them, I am inspired by the way they lived with transparency and passion, and I have to ask myself these questions:
Did I make a difference in their lives, like they did in mine? Did I show them love?
Am I taking people in my life for granted?
As much as the loss of these friends still hurts today, the relationship that I was able to share with them encourages me to carry on, and live a life that impacts  others. 
September 2015 taught me the importance of living this life, together.
Until next time.
-Luke

3 comments: