Tuesday, February 16, 2016

1 - 56

Between 1992 and 1994 (my sophomore and junior years in high school) I lost about fifty-six wrestling matches (in my estimation). This summed up my high school wresting career. I wasn't the best wrestler, I would conclude I was one of the worst. Of those fifty-six matches, I really only faintly remember the details of three of those losses, and they were close matches that went all six minutes. 
I can tell you what I do remember, every single detail; my one win.
I remember the day, the tournament, the opponent, the slap of the mat that signaled a pin, the shouts of my team-mates, coaches and family, the pure exhilaration, excitement, and pride I felt as the referee raised my hand in victory, and the next practice when our coach acknowledged my win among the rest of my team. 
That was one of the last matches of my wrestling career, meaning prior to my one win, I lost at least 50 times! 
I didn't quit, and I knew that if I went out there and gave it my all, the possibility always existed for me to win. For a long time, I was embarrassed by my wrestling career, but as I look back on it now, it was a great career, not in terms of success, but growth. 
Persistence doesn't always result in success, but it does shape your character - it remains your choice to view the results in a positive or negative manner, and whether or not to learn from the experience and to live your life better than it was before. 
What are you determined to be persistent in today? Is it shaping your character? Are you being positive, and living your life better as a result?
Until next time.
-Luke

4 comments:

  1. Your heart mirrored the heart of a lion. Full of courage and fire. And still does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart mirrored the heart of a lion. Full of courage and fire. And still does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great perspective Luke! Thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete