Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Humor Me Luke...

Do you have a mentor, someone in your life who inspires and challenges you to be the best you can be?
A mentor and inspiration to me was a man named Ted Hirsch.  I began working for Ted when I was twenty years old, and worked for him the next six years.  Ted owned a local farm and home supply store, I worked there every Saturday while attending college, and getting started in my career.  One of the tasks I had on Saturday was to do the store inventory so Ted could prepare the ordering for the upcoming week.  Every so often, something in my count wouldn't seem right to Ted, and he would gently ask me to check on it again.  I was often resistant to his urging, and would tell him I was sure my count was correct, and he would always reply "humor me Luke, just humor me."  Upon this request, I would go and check, and typically found that he was right.  Through his example, I learned a lot about the success of a solid work ethic.  I want to share with you today some qualities I saw in Ted that he passed on to me.  Through these next few things, I ask you to look deep inside yourself, challenge yourself to always give one-hundred percent, and do your best.  You can have a powerful and positive influence on someone's life by the one that you lead.

Be consistent in your personal growth. Don't stand still.  Seek out ways to learn every single day.  What are you passionate about?  What energizes you?  Do those things, do them often.

Complete the task at hand.  Make a goal, see it through, succeed or fail.  Do what you say you are going to do.

Re-set daily.  Take time in your day to mentally re-focus and re-charge.  It could be as simple as stepping out for a bowl of soup mid-day like Ted used to do.

What will you do today?  Will you work hard to be the best you can be?  You're going to face adversity, you're going to face struggles. You're going to shine through it. 

Until next time.
-Luke






No comments:

Post a Comment