Friday, March 11, 2016

Why We Remember.

Ten years ago this week the lives of my family changed forever. A decision made by a man to drive while intoxicated took the life of my then five year old niece, Megan Thomas. I remember every detail of that night. From being detoured on my drive home from work, to the call from my Dad to hurry to the fire hall to find out which hospital the helicopter was going to transport her to. The looks on the faces of the volunteer EMS personnel who were on scene. My brother Sam's pale hands clutched together to keep from trembling while driving him to the hospital (not aware yet of the outcome, only knowing that she had been hurt). The hug from my Dad as he whispered "she's gone" in my ear, and so much more.  

I want to tell you why we remember Megan. 

We remember because we want to.
We want to share and relive every precious moment that we were able to spend together.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't embrace my kids and think about the strength that my brother and Sister in Law, Sam and Marcy, possess. They hurt, and they live on, encouraging others through their lifestyle.

We remember because we love.  In the past ten years, we have grown closer as a family. We hug more, we say "I love you" more, we are more sensitive and understanding of others pain. We allow ourselves to be a little more vulnerable. We recognize the brevity of life.

We remember in order to forgive.  Forgiveness is one of the most difficult things you will ever have to take on in this life. It is not natural, but it is necessary in order to continue living your life through the pain. It can be a daily process, and struggle. Bitterness will destroy the person you were made to be. 

You may have experienced personal tragedy, we all will experience loss. We can choose to live a life filled with positive remembrance, and make this life one worth living.
Until next time. 
-Luke 


3 comments:

  1. I remember this day also....my thoughts and prayers go out to your family especially to Sam and Marcy. The loss of a child is something you never overcome in your daily lives but as you said you continue to live on in a new normal. They have done a wonderful ministry in making people aware of the lives that are change by Drunk Drivers. Forever in Gods arms Megan is remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Luke for sharing your pain and your hope with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Luke for sharing your pain and your hope with us all.

    ReplyDelete