Sunday, March 20, 2016

Just a glance.


Have you ever considered the power of just a glance? It could be a gentle look of love, a hot dart of passion, a dagger of judgment, a silent cry for help, or just a blank and apathetic stare.
This weekend I was with my three kids at a major retailer, and things were going pretty well! No meltdowns, not too much whining, a lot of laughing, and good manners. All in all, I was winning the battle of parenting that day. As I stepped into the checkout line and began to unload the cart, my little natives began to be restless.  My eldest son started dancing in place, my daughter went down the list of the 150 impossible to answer questions in 20 seconds, and my youngest just requested I purchase him gum, over and over and over and over.....
As I placed my final item on the conveyor belt, I looked up at the cashier and noticed her seemingly unhappy, disapproving, and judgemental glances directed toward us. 
At first, I wanted to react negatively, throw my own version of a furled eyebrow in her direction, but this time, I stopped.  I suddenly softened my defensiveness and considered that I have no idea what her life is like. I had no idea what she may be experiencing today. As this thought crossed my mind I decided to do something contrary to my nature. I decided to offer a gentle warm gaze with a smile. Not an angry "how dare you judge us" look that was my initial reaction, but something that may make her day better, even just for a moment.  After I did this, I noticed her countenance change significantly. The look of disdain disappeared from her face, she even reached down underneath her drawer and gave my kids stickers!
I want to live better, I want to be more positive. I want to show others love and respect.  
We can do this together. Sometimes all it takes is just a glance.
Until next time.
-Luke 





 

3 comments: